Monday, August 6, 2012

illustration friday (bounce)

In Issa's haiku, Kasa often refers to the headgear sometimes translated as "umbrella hats." But here, I chose to interpret kasa to mean the traditional, bamboo-framed umbrellas that were covered in waxed paper. I'm sure many of you have seen one, or even bought one as a souvenir. They are also called wa-gasa (Japanese umbrellas) nowadays to differentiate them from modern, western-style umbrellas. I love the sound of rain bouncing against a wa-gasa. And I can easily imagine how my heart would jump if a camellia blossom ever plopped onto one while I was inside it.

9 comments:

  1. I had one when I was little. I need to purchase one for decoration! They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the interpretation you gave to Issa's haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I think using the typeface words really enhance the very traditional look of the umbrella and (of course) the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not the first time I have exclaimed that this is your best etagami yet. Truth is, if they were all lined up, I would be overwhelmed with favorites. They are all so wonderful and so different.

    I wonder if a Kasa would stand up to the Portland rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful colors! And wow, that umbrella is just amazing. Lovely bright flower, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely piece, wonderful freshness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lush color and soft lines are very beautiful. I'm really enjoying the subtle color gradations and transitions too. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete