Sunday, July 25, 2010

illustration friday (double)


I love drawing persimmons at any stage: Seeds, flowers, unripe fruit, ripe fruit, over-ripe fruit, sliced, quartered, dried and wrinkled, on the branch, on the ground, tied to drying ropes and hanging from the eaves, piled in a bowl, bug-eaten... and so on. For this week's IF topic, I present you with an etegami of two nearly identical persimmons that ripened on the branch late last fall/early winter as I watched and marveled. The words say: In the Fullness of Time.

8 comments:

  1. A beautiful look back at the past, with a feeling of hope for what is to come (as I look at my own persimmon tree...). Thank you! Gorgeous. Persimmons are sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried and failed twice to get a persimmon tree to grow in my yard. I am afraid I have a black thumb. Maybe I will try again next spring. Beautiful illo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. :D

    Just to clarify-- it would be lovely to have my own persimmon tree, but I don't. I drew these persimmons from someone else's tree. Persimmon trees are very uncommon this far north in Japan.

    There's a Japanese saying which advises patience, and it goes: Momo, Kuri san-nen; Kaki hachi nen (Peaches and Chestnuts take three years to bear fruit: Persimmons take eight). I'm afraid I wouldn't have the kind of patience it takes to grow a persimmon tree. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! it looks fantastic. I love how the ink and color soaks into the paper. Its beautiful

    and... thanks for your comment a little while ago

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Debbie! Great etegami! Love the oriental flair. Very nice inkwork and colors. Looks more like "the fullness of talent". :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I agree, the persimmon is lovely throughout the seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heisann!
    Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. Your drawing of the doublepeaches makes me hope for a lot of peaches on the tree I planted this spring.
    Have a nice weekend ;:OD)

    ReplyDelete